If you have more than one little you will likely find they have secret meetings about who is going to nap and when, so that one of them is constantly awake. However, if the stars align into the perfect storm their tandem napping antics can be thwarted for maybe... ummm... thirty minutes. It is however, THE MOST GLORIOUS 30 MINUTES OF YOUR WEEK!!
Everything stands still and you find yourself standing in the kitchen motionless and spacing out kinda feeling lost in what to do with this free time. Make dinner? Do some laundry? Work on renos? Clean the floors?.....Screw it, now is about M! E! (say it with me...) ME! ME, ME, ME!!!
Here's My Top Six Indulgences For The Double-Nap
1. Waste my time online. Google random shit. Blog. Read postsecret. Creep on Facebook. Or open up paint and art it up grade-school style. Why? There is no toddler climbing on my lap and shoving his butt into my chest while he crawls up onto the table trying to smear oatmeal all over my laptop.
2. Have a bath...maybe with a little baileys in the coffee? So it's before noon - don't you judge me! Besides 5 minutes of nap time is equal to like 30 minutes mom time so I figure the half-life of baileys works in this time frame.
3. Get dolled up. You've seen what happens when I try and do this with a curious toddler around aka my bathroom concierge. 'Can I get you some hairspray miss? Oh just let me clear out this cupboard and find it for you...ooh look! choking hazards!' Now, I know I'm probably not going anywhere but if I can do my hair and put on some damn lipstick at least I look better than I feel (from the neck up anyways).
|Today I cleaned my make-up brushes! BOOYAH naptime!|
4. Eat treats. What mom isn't guilty of sneaking cookies while they are making lunch and their back is turned to their kids?! If they see us with these tasty little morsels its so long fully prepared lunch and hello 'treat?! treat?! treat?!' (Like those seagulls of Nemo…mine! mine! mine!)
|Gluten free, dairy free brownie and strawberry sauce..mmmmm|
5. Watch something that requires my full attention - like millionaire matchmaker or my shopping addiction. Something I can watch in silence without hearing 'Kitty? Fishy? Car?' I can usually get off with a few tears by telling him kitty is napping. Regardless, I may or may not have the entire script to Puss in Boots nearly memorized and possibly incorporate its quotes into my daily life.
6. Get all reckless-like and leave doors and cupboards open. OH the dangers that lurk! The chemicals! The tasty treats! The loud pots and pans! It's an all access pass and no toddlers are invited. HEYOO!!! MOM'S GONE WILD!!! They asked me to star in the new reality of Stay At Home Mom’s Gone Wild, but I’m pretty busy…you know drinking coffee and changing diapers and rocking mom jeans. Full-time gig ya hear!
I would love to hear how YOU make the most out of your magic time when your kids are sleeping - in ways that aren't 'homemaking' related.